Visit houselogic.com for more articles like this.
Copyright 2015 NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®
If you are thinking of selling your home, or whether it is on the market already, your home needs to look fresh and appealing to buyers, online and in person. This list details 10 things that you can do right now in your home for free to help improve your home’s marketability. Following these tips will help you attract more buyers to set appointments to see your home and make your home more appealing to buyers when they view your home.
- Keep the Front Yard Trimmed and Tidy. Create a great first impression by keeping your lawn weed free, trimmed and edged. Rake up any leaves and keep shrubs neatly trimmed and shaped. Colorful seasonal flowers can make a dramatic impact and help attract interest in your home, especially for the photos.
- Wash the Windows. It’s amazing how much dirt and grime can build up on your windows over time, making your windows look dark and dull. Cleaning your windows inside and out will help make your home look clean and appealing from the outside and more light and airy on the inside.
- Keep Your Home Odor Neutral. Your home’s odor can make a powerful first impression. If you are a smoker, or have pets, you might not notice the odors in your home, but home buyers certainly will. Thorough cleaning of carpets and drapes will help to reduce odors, as will keeping the air circulating throughout the home. Air fresheners are available in many different long lasting forms these days such as plug-ins, solids, liquids, and automatic misters.
- De-Clutter Your Home.You are getting ready to move, so why not start packing? Each box that you fill will be less to do later, and will help your home look cleaner and more spacious. You will also want to make sure that all mail and personal papers are stored out of sight.
- De-Personalize Your Home. We don’t want to totally remove the character from your home, but removing personal items such as photographs, children’s names on bedroom walls and collectible memorabilia will help to maintain your privacy and make it less distracting for home buyers who are trying to envision themselves living in your home.
- Create More Space in Your Closets. Create the sense that your home has plenty of storage space by making sure your closets have room to move in. Pack away clothing and accessories that are not in season.
- Make Minor Repairs. You don’t want to give buyers the impression that your home is not well maintained. Buyers will also be looking for any reason to reject your home or to negotiate a price reduction. So take care of any leaky faucets, patch up and paint any minor holes or cracks in the walls, replace the torn window screens and you will attract more potential buyers and minimize reductions or repairs to be negotiated later.
- Keep your Home Clean and Ready for Showings. Once your home is on the market, your home may be shown while you are at work or out shopping, or at short notice while you are at home. Get in the habit of keeping your home clean and ready for showings. Keep non-essential items off of counter tops. Keep a basket with a duster, polish and wipes at hand to quickly wipe surfaces.
- Keep Pets Confined.If it is possible to remove your pets from the home during showings, then that is the best solution. If pets can’t be removed from the premises, for example, while you are at work, then it is best to have to them confined in crates if possible.
- Stay Away During Showings. When your home is being shown by a Real Estate agent to prospective buyers, you should leave the house during the showing. Buyers often feel uncomfortable if the Sellers are present during a showing and as a result spend much less time looking at the home. Leaving the home and staying out of sight during showings, allows home buyers to take their time to comfortably tour and consider your homes features and suitability.
I hope that you found these home selling tips to be of benefit. For more home selling tips and seller resources, visit my website at TrudyEdwards.YourKWAgent.com